Visa for Students, University Applicants and Language Course Participants
Your passport must have at least 2 blank pages, have been issued within the previous 10 years and the validity has to extend the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- Residence Permit
A valid Bulgarian residence permit (lichna karta or long-term visa)
- Passport Photos
2 (for Schengen visas), 3 (for long-term visas) recent passport sized photographs with biometric criteria:
3,5 cm x 4,5 cm, good contrast, light background (single-colored white or light grey), height of the face must be 32 mm - 36 mm from chin to hairline
(photographs can be purchased e.g. at the photo shop in Elemag Street right behind the Embassy)
- Application Form
2 fully completed visa application forms for a long-term visa (in German or English)
All applicants must provide the originals of all documents required, along with 2 copies. Depending on the country where the document has been issued, legalization or an apostille might be needed. Foreign-language documents must include a German translation.
Apart from the above mentioned requirements, the following documents are needed:
- certificate of admission or confirmation of application
- educational certificates qualifying applicate for admission to university
- proof of educational background, that qualifies to commence academic studies (e.g. school graduation diploma, university diploma or if applicable study certificates)
- proof of German language skills (where applicable registration certificate for intensive language course in Germany)
- proof of sufficient financial means for the first year (the monthly minimum is the standard rate laid down by the BAföG, currently 720,00 €)
- If you haven't yet applied to a university in Germany, but would like to inform yourself about possible local study options, you should apply for a visa for university applicants sufficiently in advance to your planned departure date. Alternately to the confirmation of application, please indicate your preferred place of study in the visa application form.
- After the enrollment has taken place, the visa can be renewed or converted into a residence permit by the locally competent foreigners' registration office (Ausländerbehörde) during your stay in Germany.
- If the admission to study is denied, you are obligated to leave the country upon expiration of your visa.
Language Course Participants
- If you solely intend to attend a long-term intensive language course (more than three months, not less than 18 class hours per week), you need to submit a registration certificate from the language course institute, proof of health insurance cover for the period of your stay and a letter of motivation. (The documents listed at the top of this page are not required).
- If you intend to study in Germany immediately subsequent to your language course, please indicate this in your visa application. If all the requirements are met, a visa for university applicants and students can be granted which entitles participation in a language course as well for study purposes.
- Visas for language course participants will initially be issued for a period of three months and can be renewed or converted to a residence permit by the locally competent foreigners' registration office (Ausländerbehörde) during your stay in Germany. You are obligated to leave the country upon expiration of your visa.
Choice of Proof of Sufficient Financial Means
- Declaration of commitment by a third person before a German foreigners registration office (Ausländerbehörde) according to §§ 66-68 AufenthG (including a credit check) covering the entire duration of the stay.
- Deposit of a security on a blocked account in Germany, from which only 1/12 of the deposited amount can be paid out every month (minimum coverage: 8.640,00 €)
- Proof of an adequate scholarship sponsored by German public funds or a scholarship provided by an organisation that awards financial support to individuals, which is well-recognized in Germany. Also possible is a scholarship sponsored by public funds of the country of residence, providing the Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst (DAAD) or another German organisation that awards financial support to individuals was responsible for the mediation of the German university.
- Presentation of the income and assets of the parents, for example a notarially certified confirmation of cost coverage in the amount of at least 720,00 € per month for the entire duration of the stay and a bank reference showing a credite of at least 8.640,00 € or a corresponding amount in another currency (in this case, the counter-value in Euros must be stated in your bank attestation).
- Bank guarantee of a financial institute in Germany, which has to be renewed every year (minimum coverage: 8.640,00 €)
Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we cannot accept any responsiblity for inaccuracies contained herein. Please be advised that in order to give specific advice on any visa application it is necessary to view all documents relevant to each case. Additional documentation may be requried in individual cases.